Fungal Toenails in the Toronto, ON Area
Fungal nails refer to any number of fungal nail infections that can occur on the foot. Since fungal toenails are usually more resistant and more difficult to treat than Athlete’s Foot, topical or oral antifungal medications may be prescribed. Note: Please consult a physician before taking any medications. Permanent nail removal is another possible form of treatment for tenacious fungal nails.
Nail fungus infections typically originate from fungi, such as yeasts and molds. In most cases, the fungal infections are caused by a specific group of fungi called dermatophytes. These fungi can live in the layer of dead skin around your nails.
The infection can be a result of family history of susceptibility, increasing age, poor health conditions, nail trauma, climate (warm, moist), exposure to infected nails (sports/ fitness and communal bathing areas), and tight shoes.
Infected nails become discolored, thickened and brittle, and in some cases, can interfere with daily activities.
Noveon Nail Laser
Walkrite Foot Clinic is pleased to announce that we are now a provider of Noveon Nail Laser, a leading light-based technology for the increase of clear nails in patients with onychomycosis, or nail fungus.
Fungal nail infection is an extremely embarrassing infectious disease. We understand how nervous you are about revealing your infected toes. Nobody wants to suffer the anxiety of infecting family or friends. Well thanks to NOVEON® Nailaser you no longer need to! Get the infection-free toes you have always wanted. And if you’ve tried other remedies which haven’t worked in the past you’ll be simply amazed at this new photobiological therapy. It has no damaging side effects and is underwritten by years of clinical studies supported by several US and international patents. As you may expect from one of the world’s most highly developed laser systems, success rates are around 95%.
The Noveon Nail Laser includes several features to ensure effective toenail fungus treatment:
· Light, not heat – While most toenail fungus lasers use designs that can cause pain and may not kill the fungus, scientists have identified two laser wavelengths that are particularly effective at destroying fungus cells without producing high levels of heat. The Noveon Nail Laser uses both.
· Automatic operation – A computer program controls the operation of the Noveon NaiLaser. This increases treatment effectiveness and reduces the possibility of heat buildup.
· Patient guards – Instead of a handheld wand, the Noveon NaiLaser uses laser pathways connected to patient guards treating up to four toes at a single time.
· Patient control – A patient can instantly stop treatment with a pause switch.
During treatment, the laser light targets and destroys the fungi without causing damage to the nails or the surrounding skin. Most patients feel only warmth or tingling during the treatment. The entire procedure, treating both feet, requires less than 30 minutes.
Although the infection is treated by the laser, improvement in the nail appearance is seen as the nail grows out, which takes about 4-6 months. The amount of nail improvement you may experience is dependent upon your individual circumstances and should be discussed with your foot specialist.
Treatment for Nail Fungus Infection
The treatment of nail fungi is difficult. The infection lives under and inside of the nail and most treatments cannot effectively reach and destroy the infection. Now, laser technology is available to specifically target the fungi and provide patients new clear nail growth.
Treatment results are healthy dependent on patient compliance. It is important to follow your provider’s post-treatment protocol to minimize the chance of re-infection.
Preventing Fungal Toenail Infections
After a fungal toenail infection has cleared up it is important to take steps to prevent the infection from recurring. Keeping fungi at bay will help prevent a fungal infection of the skin from reinfecting the nail. Before bed, thoroughly wash and dry your feet, and apply a nonprescription anti-fungal cream to the entire foot from the ankle down. Use the cream every night, then gradually apply it less often. Keep your feet dry. Dry feet are less likely to become infected. Apply powder to your dry feet after you take a shower or bath.
Other suggestions for preventing Fungal Toenails include:
· Don’t share nail clippers or nail files with others.
· Don’t share shoes or socks with others.
· Try not to injure your nail, such as by cutting it too short .
· Wear dry cotton socks and change them two or three times a day if necessary.
· Wear dry shoes to allow circulation.
· Wear shower sandals or shower shoes when you are at a public pool or shower
Follow basic foot care guidelines and, more than likely, you can head off most common foot fungus problems. For more information on Fungal Toenails in the Toronto, ON area call Walkrite Foot Clinic.